How Do I Make a 1988 Jeep 4.0L Engine Start Up Quicker?
- 1). Remove the gas filler cap from behind the gas filler door on the Jeep to relieve any residual pressure in the fuel tank. Pour the contents of one bottle of in-tank fuel injector treatment into the fuel tank. Raise the front driver's side of the Jeep with a two-ton or greater capacity jack at the lift point just behind the left front tire. Place jack stands beneath the frame rail of the Cherokee.
- 2). Slide underneath the side of the Jeep just under the driver's door and frame rail. Locate the in-line fuel filter on the driver's side frame rail. Loosen the strap from around the fuel filter with a 3/8-inch drive ratchet and socket.
- 3). Loosen the hose clamps from the ends of the fuel filter with the 3/8-inch drive ratchet and socket. Set a drain pan directly beneath the fuel filter. Remove the rear fuel line from the fuel filter first, by simply pulling it off. Do not perform this procedure near your face and have your body clear of the possible spray from the fuel line or filter. Remove the front fuel line from the fuel filter and drop the old fuel filter into the drain pan.
- 4). Install the new filter into the filter mounting bracket and tighten the strap around the new filter. Make sure the "FLOW" arrow or "OUT" arrow is pointing toward the front of the Jeep. Use the 3/8-inch drive ratchet and socket to tighten the strap until it is snug around the fuel filter. There is no need for any torque as this will damage the new filter.
- 5). Attach the fuel lines on the front and rear of the fuel filter and tighten the clamps with the 3/8-inch drive ratchet and socket. Tighten the clamps so that they are snug then turn them an additional 1/4-turn. This "snug-and-a-quarter" tightening method will apply the right amount of pressure around the lines, without damaging any parts.
- 6). Lift the Jeep off the jack stands with the jack then lower it to the ground.
- 7). Turn the ignition key to the "II" or "Accessories" position then back off. Repeat this procedure no less than four times. Turning the key to "Accessories" then off will cause the fuel pump to pressurize the Jeep's fuel system. This key turning method will also work for Jeeps that are hard to start. Turning the key to "Accessories" twice then off, followed by attempting to start the Jeep, will help eliminate the stalling effect at start-up.
- 8). Start the Jeep and step out of the vehicle. Look underneath the Jeep near the frame rail and fuel filter for any leaks. If you see any leaks, turn off the Jeep immediately and recheck the connections to the filter.