How to Shabby Chic a Wood Table
- 1). Lay out newspaper underneath and around the table. Put on the face mask and ventilate the room; varnish should not be inhaled.
- 2). Sand the table to remove all cracked varnish. You don't have to remove all the previous finish, but try to get as close to the original wood as possible. Wipe the table clean with damp rags and allow to dry.
- 3). Remove and replace the newspaper under the table. Apply a coat of primer with a paintbrush. Allow the primer to dry.
- 4). Apply the first coat of latex paint with a paintbrush. Allow the paint to dry according to the label directions.
- 5). Rub the white candle randomly over the table, making sure not to leave a pattern. Work the candle especially on areas that show natural wear, such as the table edges and legs.
- 6). Apply the second paint color with a paintbrush. Let the paint dry.
- 7). Rub the table gently with clean sandpaper. Where the candle was applied, the top coat of paint should easily lift off, revealing the color underneath. In areas of heavy wear, rub the paint back to the natural wood.
- 8). Apply a coat of varnish with a paintbrush. Allow the varnish to dry according to the label directions. Apply a second coat and allow it to dry.